- POSTED: 18 Jan 2014 12:28
This graph is an experimental feature that tracks number of views over time.
Australia on Saturday vowed there would be no further intrusions into Indonesian waters during its military-led crackdown on people-smuggling boats, after Jakarta demanded operations be suspended following repeated incursions.
SYDNEY: Australia on Saturday vowed there would be no further intrusions into Indonesian waters during its military-led crackdown on people-smuggling boats, after Jakarta demanded operations be suspended following repeated incursions.
Australia's new conservative government has re-introduced a policy of turning back asylum-seeker boats, many of which depart from Indonesian ports, when it is safe to do so.
It admitted on Friday to several inadvertent intrusions into Indonesian waters as part of Operation Sovereign Borders, but said it was sticking to its policy designed to halt the arrival of asylum-seekers on unauthorised boats.
"We will not again see an inadvertent breach of Indonesia's territorial waters, we've taken steps to ensure that that doesn't happen again," Foreign Minister Julie Bishop told reporters in Perth on Saturday.
The incursions prompted a furious response from Jakarta, with Indonesia's Ministry for Political, Legal and Security Affairs saying they "constitute a serious matter in bilateral relations of the two countries".
Jakarta has demanded a suspension of operations and pledged to step up navy patrols along its southern maritime borders.
"We welcome cooperation from Indonesia in patrolling the waters where these people-smuggling boats are being launched," Bishop said, when asked about the increased Indonesian patrols.
Asylum-seekers arriving on unauthorised boats in Australia are a sensitive issue for both sides, and Canberra's Operation Sovereign Borders to stop them has been received coolly in Jakarta.
Under Australia's so-called tow-back policy, asylum-seeker boats -- often wooden fishing vessels -- can be pushed back towards Indonesia, a move which Jakarta had previously suggested could infringe its sovereignty.
Asked whether the government would reconsider this element of the policy after the breaches, Bishop said: "We are absolutely committed to stopping the criminal activity of people-smugglers.
"We are absolutely committed to stopping people making that hazardous journey that has already led to over 1,000 deaths at sea.
"We are determined to stop the people-smuggling trade, we are determined to stop the boats and that's what happening."
Australia has offered an unqualified apology for the unintended incursions, but Immigration Minister Scott Morrison said Friday the government's "stop the boats" policy would remain in place.
On Saturday, Morrison said he had noted the response from Jakarta.
"The Australian government will continue to discuss these matters, including any response Australia may wish to provide, directly and privately with the Indonesian government through the appropriate channels," said Morrison.