- POSTED: 22 Jul 2014 15:52
- UPDATED: 22 Jul 2014 18:03
Indonesian presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto said Tuesday he was withdrawing from the election process and would mount a legal challenge to the result, as his opponent Joko Widodo was poised to be declared the winner.
JAKARTA: Indonesian presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto said Tuesday (July 22) he was withdrawing from the election process and would mount a legal challenge to the result, as his opponent Joko Widodo was poised to be declared the winner.
"There has been a massive, structured and systematic fraud in the 2014 elections," Prabowo told reporters.
Prabowo added in a Facebook post: "In Papua, there are 14 districts that never voted, but there's a voting result. There are over 5000 voting places in DKI Jakarta where re-voting was recommended, but ignored by KPU (the Elections Commission)."
According to Jakarta Globe, Prabowo also instructed supporters of his party to leave their election-monitoring roles.
Prabowo earlier on Tuesday wanted a two-week delay in announcing the result to allow investigations into allegations of cheating. The result is expected at about 4:00pm local time on Tuesday, once the Elections Commission completes final checks.
Following unofficial tallies from several pollsters earlier, Widodo and rival Prabowo had both claimed victory in the closely-fought election. Most unofficial counts put Widodo just ahead in what has been the tightest presidential race in Indonesia's history.