PUTRAJAYA: The Department of Civil Aviation Malaysia (DCA) is conducting an internal investigation after an electronic smoking device caught fire on a Malindo Air flight on Sunday (Oct 25).
In a statement released on Monday, the DCA expressed concern over the incident, which took place on board a Boeing 737-800 aircraft en route from Kota Kinabalu to Kuala Lumpur.
Bernama reported that a passenger was watching in-flight entertainment from his seat, when the battery in his vaping device inside a bag on his lap caught fire. Sepang district police chief Asst Commissioner Abdul Aziz Ali was quoted as saying: “The minor fire resulted in the passenger suffering light injuries to his thigh and left arm. He was given immediate treatment by another passenger on board who happened to be a doctor.”
Crew members managed to put out the fire quickly and the flight landed safely at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 8.44pm.
Bernama reported that the injured passenger lodged a police report upon landing.
DCA emphasised that under International Civil Aviation Organization guidelines, passengers and crew are prohibited from carrying battery-powered portable electronic smoking devices, including electronic cigarettes in checked baggage. They are also prohibited from recharging such devices in aircraft cabins. Batteries should be removed from the devices and placed in proper storage.
The DCA reminded airline operators, crew and passengers to comply with these guidelines so as to avoid similar incidents in future.