Channel NewsAsia

Malaysian PM demands full probe into MRT span collapse

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak has called for a full investigation into the collapse of a concrete span at an MRT worksite in Kota Damansara on Monday night.

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak on Tuesday (Aug 19) called for a full investigation into the collapse of a concrete span at an MRT worksite in Kota Damansara on Monday night.

"Shocked and saddened to hear about the MRT site accident. A full investigation must be carried out immediately to ensure this never happens again," Najib said on Twitter.

The Mass Rapid Transit Corporation had earlier said in a statement: "While construction of the parapet was being carried out on the guideway, a span got dislodged from its piers and fell onto the ground."


Three Bangladeshi construction workers, who went missing after the 490-tonne span at the MRT worksite near the former Rubber Research Institute land collapsed at 8.30pm on Monday, have been found dead.

According to the Selangor Fire and Rescue Department, the body of Mohammad Elahi Hossain, 27, was found at 2.30am on Tuesday trapped under the collapsed span.

Two other workers, Mohamad Faruk Khan and Mohammad Alauddin Mollik, were found at 1.35pm. The three bodies have been sent to Sungai Buloh Hospital for a postmortem examination.

MRT Corp chief executive officer Azhar Abdul Hamid who was at the site expressed deep regret over the incident. "Although investigations are underway, MRT Corp assumes full responsibility for the incident. Once investigations are completed, action on those responsible will be taken," he said in a statement.