Channel NewsAsia

Man tests negative for Ebola in Hong Kong

A Nigerian man in Hong Kong has tested negative for the deadly Ebola virus, said Chinese media. He had been placed in quarantine after he was suspected of carrying the virus.

HONG KONG: A Nigerian man in Hong Kong has tested negative for  Ebola, said Chinese broadcaster CCTV. He had been placed in quarantine after he was suspected of carrying the virus, said Chinese media on Sunday (Aug 10).

According to CCTV, the 32-year-old had arrived in the southern Chinese city from Nigeria on Thursday. He was sent to hospital after experiencing vomiting and diarrhoea.

South China Morning Post reported that Hong Kong’s Department of Health said it would make a public announcement if any Ebola case is confirmed.

Xinhua said the man had been staying at a guesthouse in Tsim Sha Tsui district. He reportedly told the building's security staff that he was feeling unwell. He was later sent conscious to hospital.

World Health Organization had declared Ebola a global health emergency, as the deadly virus in west Africa has killed nearly 1,000 people. 

Ebola causes severe fever and in fatal cases, unstoppable bleeding. It is transmitted through contact with bodily fluids, and people living with or caring for patients are most at risk.

Tweet photos, videos and updates on this story to  @channelnewsasia