Channel NewsAsia

Jay-Z, Solange Knowles have "moved on" from elevator row

Jay-Z and his wife Beyonce's sister say they have apologised to each other and agreed to "move forward" after an "unfortunate" fight in an elevator, which became public with a leaked video.

NEW YORK: Jay-Z and his wife Beyonce's sister say they have apologised to each other and agreed to "move forward" after an "unfortunate" fight in an elevator, which became public with a leaked video.

The celebrity couple and Solange Knowles had said nothing since a security video of her repeatedly attacking Jay-Z emerged last week, triggering fevered online speculation about what they were fighting about.

A statement on Thursday did not explain exactly what the dispute was, but said they both shared any blame and were determined to remain united as a family.

"As a result of the public release of the elevator security footage... there has been a great deal of speculation about what triggered the unfortunate incident," they said in a joint Knowles-Carter family statement to the Associated Press (AP) news agency.

"But the most important thing is that our family has worked through it... Jay and Solange each assume their share of responsibility for what has occurred. They both acknowledge their role in this private matter that has played out in the public.

"They both have apologised to each other and we have moved forward as a united family."

They also denied that Solange Knowles, who repeatedly hits and kicks out at Jay-Z despite the intervention of what appears to be a bodyguard, was drunk or otherwise intoxicated.

"The reports of Solange being intoxicated or displaying erratic behavior throughout the evening are simply false," said the statement.

"At the end of the day families have problems and we're no different. We love each other and above all we are family. We've put this behind us and hope everyone else will do the same."

New York's hip Standard hotel launched an investigation into how the surveillance video wound up on an Internet gossip site, following a party there after the glamorous Met Gala on May 5.

A bodyguard is seen trying to restrain the clearly agitated 27-year-old singer, whose 32-year-old megastar sister stood largely in the corner alongside her 44-year-old husband of six years.

Solange, whose new album is due out later this year, performed at the Coachella music festival in California last month, where Beyonce joined her on stage, delighting fans.

The Met Gala after-party took place at the Standard's exclusive rooftop Top of the Standard lounge -- better known among New York night owls as "the Boom Boom Room."

Earlier on Thursday the hotel said it had fired an employee over the leaked elevator video.

In a statement that did not name names, the Standard said it had identified the person responsible for breaching its security policies "and recording the confidential video."

"The Standard has already terminated the individual and will now be pursuing all available civil and criminal remedies," it said, adding that it would turn over "all available information" to police.

Tweet Photos, Videos and Update on this Story to  #cna