- POSTED: 17 Dec 2013 21:51
- UPDATED: 17 Dec 2013 23:03
This graph is an experimental feature that tracks number of views over time.
The ban on alcohol consumption in public places in Little India that was in force last weekend will continue this weekend, said Second Minister for Home Affairs S Iswaran.
SINGAPORE: The ban on alcohol consumption in public places in Little India that was in force last weekend will continue this weekend, said Second Minister for Home Affairs S Iswaran.
More details will be announced by the police on Wednesday.
Mr Iswaran said police are also working out details with affected businesses on whether alcohol will be allowed to be sold in Little India this weekend.
He revealed this during a visit on Tuesday evening to the Jurong Penjuru Dormitory 2.
Mr Iswaran said longer-term measures to be taken will be based on the findings of the Committee of Inquiry tasked to look into the Little India riot.
He added that the enforcement action taken so far was to ensure that safety and security are preserved.
Mr Iswaran said his visit to the dormitory on Tuesday evening was to reassure foreign workers that the authorities are only targeting offenders who break the law.
He said: "We do recognise that the vast majority of foreign workers in Singapore are law-abiding individuals. They are here to earn an honest living to help their families back home, so we respect that. We also value their contributions to Singapore.
“So the actions taken should be seen in the right context. The enforcement action is dealt to individuals who perpetrated offences under the Penal Code."