- POSTED: 07 Jan 2014 17:48
This graph is an experimental feature that tracks number of views over time.
The man who allegedly goes by the moniker "The Messiah" and accused of compromising a town council's website rejected the prosecution's offer during a pre-trial conference on Tuesday.
SINGAPORE: The man who allegedly goes by the moniker "The Messiah" and accused of compromising a town council's website rejected the prosecution's offer during a pre-trial conference on Tuesday.
The prosecution had offered to proceed on two of four drug consumption charges James Raj Arokiasamy is accused of.
The remaining two drug charges would be taken into consideration if he pleaded guilty.
No position was taken by the prosecution on the charge of him allegedly compromising the Ang Mo Kio Town Council website.
Defence lawyer M Ravi told the media that James Raj did not take up the offer.
Mr Ravi said the prosecution argued that James Raj's plea would not prejudice his client. But he explained that if James Raj were to do so, he would have antecedents.
Mr Ravi said this would then be prejudicial in other matters related to his client.
The 35-year-old James Raj faces four counts of using drugs between May 2011 and November 2013.
He also allegedly accessed the management system of the Ang Mo Kio Town Council website and modified its contents without authorisation.
Besides supposedly adding an image of a Guy Fawkes mask to the website on 28 October last year, James Raj is said to have added texts and banners to the website.
He is accused of doing so at about 1.35pm from an apartment in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, while on the run from authorities for two-and-a-half years for his alleged drug charges.
On Tuesday, Mr Ravi also applied for James Raj's UOB savings card to be released so that his client can foot the legal fees. He said if this was allowed, it would indicate that the money in that account was honestly earned.
The result of this application is expected on Friday.
On 5 December, James Raj came under the spotlight again after authorities said information on close to 650 Standard Chartered's private banking clients were allegedly discovered in a laptop belonging to him.
Mr Ravi has said this matter, along with two other alleged hacking incidents involving the People’s Action Party Community Foundation website as well as the Straits Times website, are currently under investigation.
The case will be mentioned again on 10 February.