Channel NewsAsia

British national charged with endangering safety of boy

The accused is believed to have entered Singapore by sea from Malaysia, arriving at Raffles Marina in Tuas. He allegedly caused the boy to fall after forcefully grabbing and prying the boy from his guardian. 

SINGAPORE: A 38-year-old British national, who is believed to have entered Singapore illegally, has been charged with endangering the personal safety of a two-year-old boy.

The accused, Adam Whittington, is believed to have entered Singapore with two others - 39-year-old Wilson Allan from Australia and a 30-year-old woman. The woman, also a foreigner, is believed to be the mother of the boy, but she cannot be named as it may lead to the identification of the child.

All three are believed to have entered Singapore by sea from Malaysia, arriving at Raffles Marina in Tuas shortly before 6.09am on Tuesday (Aug 19). Raffles Marina is a country club with berthing facilities. It is an authorised landing place from 9am to 5pm only.

At 8.40am on Tuesday, Whittington allegedly went to an apartment in the western part of Singapore, where the boy is believed to be living with his guardians. Whittington is alleged to have forcefully grabbed and pried the boy from the arms of his guardian, causing the boy to suffer a fall.

Channel NewsAsia understands the boy's parents are separated, and he was living with his relatives at the time of the incident. Neighbours told Channel NewsAsia they heard screams on Tuesday morning, and an elderly woman was seen crying at the guard house as the boy was missing.

It has not been established whether the child at the centre of the case is a victim, as further investigations are needed. The prosecution has asked for a one-week adjournment. In the meantime, all three accused persons will be remanded at the Police Cantonment Complex.

For the rash act, Whittington faces a jail term of six months or a fine of up to S$2,500, or both. For entering Singapore illegally and not reporting to an immigration officer, all three accused face a fine of up to S$4,000 or a jail term of 12 months, or both.

The case will be further mentioned in court on Aug 28. It is understood that the boy has been returned to his guardians.

Tweet photos, videos and updates on this story to  @channelnewsasia