- POSTED: 10 Aug 2014 21:28
- UPDATED: 11 Aug 2014 08:03
An engineer had to be rescued from a cable car cabin on Sentosa's under-construction intra-island cable way on Sunday (Aug 10) at about 4pm. The cabin he had been riding in had halted during tests, while another unoccupied cabin became dislodged and fell.
SINGAPORE: An empty cabin being installed on Sentosa’s yet-to-open intra-island cable car service got dislodged and fell on Sunday (Aug 10), causing a worker riding in an unaffected cabin to be trapped mid-air for about an hour.
He was rescued after the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) and on-site engineers assessed it to be safe to move the halted cabin to Imbiah Station. No one was hurt in the incident, which happened at around 4pm at a construction site along Imbiah Walk, near Underwater World.
How the dislodging happened is still being probed by the Building and Construction Authority, said Sentosa Development Corporation.
“At about 4pm today, an incident occurred at the intra-island cableway construction site on Sentosa while the contractor was carrying out further installation work. An empty cabin was dislodged, while another cabin was halted with a technical supervisor inside the cabin,” said a spokesperson.
“He was subsequently moved safely to the Imbiah Station. No one was hurt in the incident.”
The SCDF said it got a call about the fallen cable car at 4.25pm and sent one fire engine, one Red Rhino and one ambulance. Its Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team (DART) rescuers were also on standby at the site.
“An SCDF paramedic assessed the technical supervisor and he did not require any medical assistance,” it added.
Sentosa also stressed that the existing Singapore Cable Car line from Mount Faber to Sentosa is unaffected and remains in operation.
"IT WAS SCARY"
When TODAY visited the site at about 9pm, a staff of nearby Siloso Beach Resort’s cafe, Ms August Kansana Kaewkalong, said she learnt about the accident when vehicles could not drop guests and staff at the resort’s entrance that faced the construction site.
Later, the front desk informed staff of the accident, she added.
“It was scary and I was worried that people would be injured,” she said.
Another worker at Siloso Beach Resort, who declined to be named, said the cables for the new cableway were put up about a month ago.
The new 860m-long cableway, which is slated for opening in the first quarter of next year, is for shuttling visitors between the three main clusters of attractions at Merlion Plaza, Imbiah Lookout and Siloso Point.