Channel NewsAsia

Fire breaks out at Grassroots' Club

A fire broke out in the kitchen of a shark's fin restaurant on the third floor of the Grassroots' Club. No one was injured. 

SINGAPORE: A fire broke out at The Grassroots' Club at Ang Mo Kio on Monday (July 7) afternoon. The Singapore Civil Defence Force said they were alerted to the blaze at 5:37pm, and confirmed that they were on the scene.

The fire was contained by 6:10pm and the SCDF says no one was injured. The fire had broken out on the third floor, in the kitchen of a restaurant specialising in sharks' fin delicacies. 

Channel NewsAsia received several photographs and videos from viewers of the fire, many of them taken from Yio Chu Kang MRT station which is opposite the club. Pictures appeared to show at least one room engulfed in flames, and the above roof tiles on fire.

At least one fire truck and a red rhino vehicle were spotted at the scene. Police were also seen on the ground floor of the club.

The Grassroots' Club houses a banquet hall, meeting rooms, a theatrette and a gymnasium. Its website says it is a place for grassroots leaders to interact and build their network, with membership "comparable to a private club without the exorbitant membership fees".

Photo: Sarika Nishaini


Photos: Channel NewsAsia Facebook follower who declined to be named




Tweet photos, videos and updates on this story to  @channelnewsasia