Channel NewsAsia

Fire breaks out at Hougang HDB flat

A third-floor unit at Block 322 Hougang Avenue 5 caught fire on Thursday morning, but no injuries were reported, according to the Singapore Civil Defence Force.

SINGAPORE: A third-floor Housing and Development Board (HDB) unit at Block 322 Hougang Avenue 5 was on fire on Thursday (July 17) morning.

When contacted, SCDF said they were alerted at 9.58am of the fire at Block 322. Two fire engines, one Red Rhino, one fire bike, one ambulance and two support vehicles were despatched. No injuries were reported, said SCDF.

A hotline caller, Mr Wang, who is a resident at the opposite block, had notified Channel NewsAsia at 10.10 am that a fire was seen at the block. He added that SCDF officers were seen rescuing people using a ladder, and residents ran down to the coffee shop below the block.

When Channel NewsAsia reached the scene at 11am, the fire had been put out. The exterior of the HDB block was visibly charred, and police had cordoned off a portion of the third floor.

An owner of a shop on the ground floor of Block 322, Mr Heng, said he saw an Indian man running out of the flat shouting "Fire". Mr Heng said he then tried to bring a fire extinguisher up to help, but the fire got too big and he ran back down.

Our reporter later tracked down one of the affected tenants. He said he lost everything in the fire, save his passport. 

"Today, I was going to the income tax office, so I had taken my passport. So (what's) left with me is (my) passport," said Mr Sajan Gabriel. "Actually, on Monday, I had bought a ticket to go back to India. So I had purchased all these things for my kids and my family and relatives. Everything was inside my room ... so it's all gone."

Tweet photos, videos and updates on this story to  @channelnewsasia