- POSTED: 02 Aug 2014 19:16
- UPDATED: 02 Aug 2014 22:45
The president of the Johor Lorry Operators Association, Mr Anthony Tan, has refuted comments that the group plans to stage a protest next week against the hike in toll fares.
SINGAPORE: The president of the Johor Lorry Operators Association, Mr Anthony Tan, has refuted comments that the group plans to stage a protest next week against the hike in toll fares.
He was responding to statements made by the association's vice-president Mr Andrew Chia. Mr Chia had earlier on Saturday (August 2) told Channel NewsAsia that if the government did not reduce the fares, they might stage a protest.
Mr Chia said: "Our members are around 200 people and then almost 80 per cent travel to Singapore. We will deliver things to Singapore. We are waiting for an answer from the government - if they still maintain the toll hike, if they don't want to reduce, maybe, maybe we'll do it."
But according to Mr Tan, his deputy did not have the authority to make such comments. He had tried to contact Mr Chia but could not reach him.
"We have agreed that any statements made on this issue should go through me first. The association has made a stand previously that should we have any dissatisfaction on the issue of toll fares, we will go through the proper channels to air it. We will not go on strike because number one, it is illegal. And number two, we do not want to create trouble or havoc for other people. That is not right," Mr Tan told Channel NewsAsia in a phone interview on Saturday.
He added that the association's executive committee will conduct an internal inquiry on Mr Chia's comments before deciding the next course of action.