- POSTED: 18 Jan 2014 13:52
The Manpower Ministry is stepping up worksite inspections to check on unsafe practices involving formwork structures following the recent accidents involving formwork collapse.
SINGAPORE: The Manpower Ministry (MOM) is stepping up worksite inspections from January 20 for two weeks to check on unsafe practices involving formwork structures.
MOM has also issued an advisory to professional engineers on Saturday to remind them of their obligations in the design, construction and inspection of formwork structures.
This follows two accidents at separate construction worksites last week which were caused by malpractices in erecting formwork structures.
MOM said while investigations into these accidents are in progress, preliminary findings showed that the formwork structures gave way during the concrete casting process.
This indicates that the structures were unable to support the load imposed on them during the casting process.
Fortunately, there were no serious injuries arising from these accidents.
MOM said the stepped up inspections will target formwork practices at construction worksites, such as unsafe design of formwork structures, improper erection of formwork structures, incompatible formwork components, and improper supervision and inspection of formwork structures.
MOM said these are in addition to its regular checks on formwork structures as part of its construction safety inspections.