- POSTED: 06 Aug 2014 07:09
- UPDATED: 06 Aug 2014 09:58
Ding has the resources and network to flee despite having his passport impounded, Deputy Public Prosecutor Tan Ken Hwee argued.
SINGAPORE: Match-fixer Eric Ding, who had been refused bail by a district judge although he intended to appeal against his conviction, contested the decision at the High Court on Tuesday (Aug 5).
Arguing for a reversal of the denial of bail and a stay of sentence pending appeal, Ding’s lawyer Hamidul Haq pointed out that his client had abided by bail conditions and attended court punctually, adding that Ding could have run away before he was sentenced.
The 32-year-old, who was convicted on July 24 on three counts of corruption relating to providing three Lebanese football officials with prostitutes as bribes for rigging future matches, had to start serving his three-year jail sentence immediately, despite intending to appeal against the punishment, because the judge deemed him a flight risk.
Responding to Mr Hamidul’s argument that Ding needed to be let out to prepare for his defence, Deputy Public Prosecutor Tan Ken Hwee said there were “no special reasons” in Ding’s case to grant him bail pending the appeal.
Reiterating a point made in the lower courts that Ding had the resources and network to flee despite having his passport impounded, DPP Tan suggested that Ding’s bail during the trial had been financed by other parties.
For instance, when Ding was granted a S$150,000 bail on April 9, a cheque for S$154,000 was deposited into his father’s account two days later, said DPP Tan.
Justice Chao Hick Tin is expected to deliver his decision on Friday.