- POSTED: 10 Jun 2014 11:50
- UPDATED: 11 Jun 2014 17:16
A 57-year-old man, believed to be the flat owner, has died after a fire broke out at a HDB flat in Woodlands Crescent. SCDF says preliminary findings indicate the fire may have accidentally started from an electrical origin.
SINGAPORE: A 57-year-old man died after a fire broke out in a Housing and Development Board (HDB) flat at Woodlands Crescent early this morning (June 10).
The man, believed to be the owner of the flat, was found unconscious in the toilet. He suffered a cardiac arrest, and paramedics immediately administered CPR on him and this was continued enroute to hospital, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said in a statement. Firefighters also rescued another 23-year-old male and a 58-year-old female found standing on the window ledge outside one of the unit’s bedrooms. Both suffered from smoke inhalation and were sent to hospital.
About 150 residents of the affected block were evacuated from their homes, SCDF said.
SCDF said it received a call for assistance at 3.18am, and put out the fire in 20 minutes using two water jets. The fire started in one of the bedrooms of a unit in Block 788E before spreading outwards, resulting in the room being "totally damaged" and the living room "partially damaged", it added.
The SCDF said on Wednesday (June 11) that preliminary findings suggest the blaze was an accident and could have started as an electrical fire in the study room.
It added the number of electrical fires in residential premises in 2013 increased by 10 cases from the previous year. Majority of the electrical fires were usually caused by electrical appliances or machineries that short-circuited or sockets that were overloaded with electrical wirings and appliances, it said.