Organisers withdraw application for Philippine Independence Day event
- POSTED: 27 May 2014 16:01
- UPDATED: 27 May 2014 17:27
Organisers have decided to withdraw their application to hold an event to commemorate the Philippine Independence Day at Ngee Ann City, Police said.
SINGAPORE: Organisers have decided to withdraw their application to hold an event to commemorate the Philippine Independence Day at Ngee Ann City, Police said.
In a statement sent to Channel NewsAsia on Tuesday (May 27), Police said the organisers, the Pilipino Independence Day Council 2014 (PIDC), had withdrawn their application to hold the event at the Orchard Road venue.
“This follows Police's advice that there are public order and safety concerns with the venue proposed by PIDC," the Police said. It said the organisers had been advised to hold the event at alternative locations, such as Hong Lim Park and Suntec City.
The event, originally slated to be held on June 8 at the Ngee Ann City Civic Plaza in Orchard, drew a barrage of anti-foreigner comments online. The organisers reportedly also received abusive phone calls after they posted about the event on Facebook.
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong wrote on his Facebook page on April 19 that he was "appalled" to read about the online furore. Singaporeans “must treat people in Singapore the way we ourselves expect to be treated overseas,” he wrote.