SINGAPORE: Singapore is "appalled by and condemns the attack on innocent worshippers" who were leaving nearby mosques after their night prayers in London's Finsbury Park, Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) on Monday (Jun 19) said in a statement condemning the attack.
"That this heinous attack had taken place during the holy month of Ramadan is even more disturbing. Such acts remind us that we must remain vigilant, and not allow mistrust and enmity to be sowed in society. We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family of the victim, and we hope that the injured will make a quick recovery," it said.
MFA added that, thus far, there have been no reports of Singaporeans directly affected by or injured in the incident.
It added that the Singapore High Commission is working closely with the London authorities to monitor the situation, and is reaching out to Singaporeans who are e-registered in London.
"Singaporeans in the United Kingdom are advised to keep in touch with their family and friends so that they know you are safe," MFA said.
Those who are in need of urgent consular assistance should contact the Singapore High Commission in London at:
+44 (0)207 235 8315
+44 (0)771 034 8335
or the MFA duty office in Singapore at +65 63798800/8855.
REPORTS THAT ATTACK WAS CAUSED BY ISLAMOPHOBIA "WORRYING"
Minister for Home Affairs and Law K Shanmugam on Tuesday said reports that the attack was caused by Islamophobia were worrying.
In a Facebook post, Mr Shanmugam said: "Media reports suggested that the suspect had screamed 'I’m going to kill all Muslims'. At this point, we have no confirmation if the attack was indeed caused by Islamophobia, following two recent terror attacks in London. It was reported that the suspect had previously expressed hatred of Muslims."
"If the attack was indeed against Muslims, then this is a further worrying development, with attacks and counter attacks, which will seek to divide communities," he added.
"Our prayers are with the victims and their families."