Channel NewsAsia

SingTel accepts S$6m penalty imposed by IDA

Singapore Telecommunications (SingTel) said on Tuesday it accepts the findings of an investigation into a fire last year that affected nearly 270,000 telecom and broadcast subscribers.

SINGAPORE: Singapore Telecommunications (SingTel) said on Tuesday it accepts the findings of an investigation into a fire last year that affected nearly 270,000 telecom and broadcast subscribers.

It also said it has taken steps to ensure similar incidents will not occur.

"SingTel accepts the findings of the investigation by the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) into the fire at the Bukit Panjang Exchange on 9 October 2013, and the financial penalty imposed," Group CEO Chua Sock Koong said in a statement.

She also said SingTel has "made good progress" in the areas of fire prevention, network design and stakeholder engagement.

The steps taken by SingTel include replacement of lead seals in the exchanges with multi-cable transit systems. This is expected to be completed by July 2014, earlier than the previously announced time frame of end-2014.

SingTel is also installing automatic fire suppression systems within the cable chambers and expects to complete this by the end of this year, she said.

IDA earlier on Tuesday said it will fine SingTel S$6 million for failing to meet its obligations under the Service Resiliency Code.

Mitigating factors were taken into consideration by IDA in determining the financial penalty, including SingTel's provision of alternative services to affected users during the incident and its offers of compensations to such users after the incident.

SingTel recorded S$525 million in revenue from its Singapore mobile communications operations during the three months ended December 2013. 

Tweet Photos, Videos and Update on this Story to  #cna