- POSTED: 06 Aug 2014 07:22
- UPDATED: 06 Aug 2014 10:39
Lawyer Dennis Tan Lip Fong has been elected vice-chair of the party’s media team and sociologist Daniel Goh Pei Siong as president of its Youth Wing.
SINGAPORE: New Workers’ Party faces, lawyer Dennis Tan Lip Fong and sociologist Daniel Goh Pei Siong, have been picked as the vice-chair of the party’s media team and president of its Youth Wing, respectively.
The duo, who were unveiled during the Punggol East by-election last year, were co-opted into the party’s central executive council (CEC) months later, but sat only as council members then.
A press statement from the Workers’ Party issued on Tuesday (Aug 5) detailed its office bearers until 2016, with chairman Sylvia Lim and secretary-general Low Thia Khiang retaining the top two positions. With the exception of Mr Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap and Mr Png Eng Huat, who were chosen as council members, the party’s other parliamentary representatives all hold posts.
The party held its biennial conference two weeks ago, which party sources said saw more than 20 people putting themselves forward for the 12 seats on the top decision-making body, other than the two leadership positions.
The current CEC’s term is expected to end sometime in the third quarter of 2016, while the next General Election is due by January 2017.
The newly-elected office bearers of the Workers’ Party are as follows:
- Chairman: Ms Sylvia Lim Swee Lian
- Vice-Chairman: Mr Mohammed Rahizan bin Yaacob
- Secretary-General: Mr Low Thia Khiang
- Organising Secretaries: Ms Lee Li Lian, Mr Pritam Singh
- Treasurer: Mr Chen Show Mao
- Deputy Treasurer: Mr L Somasundaram
- Chair, WP Media Team: Mr Gerald Giam Yean Song
- Vice-Chair, WP Media Team: Mr Dennis Tan Lip Fong
- Webmaster: Mr Yee Jenn Jong
- President, WP Youth Wing: Dr Daniel Goh Pei Siong
- Council Members: Mr Muhamad Faisal bin Abdul Manap, Mr Png Eng Huat, Dr John Yam