- POSTED: 23 Jul 2014 17:29
- UPDATED: 23 Jul 2014 23:38
A pilot street-outreach programme targeting at-risk youths will be extended for another two years and expanded to another district.
SINGAPORE: A pilot street-outreach programme targeting at-risk youths will be extended for another two years and expanded to another district.
Youth GO! started in 2011 and has so far reached out to 8,300 youths.
The programme, currently offered in the NorthEast and NorthWest districts, targets at-risk youths aged 12 to 21 who are not receiving any form of support. The youths have usually either dropped out of school and are unemployed or have opted out or dropped out of existing help programmes.
Member of the National Committee on Youth Guidance and Rehabilitation Associate Professor Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim, who was speaking on Wednesday (July 23) at a forum on youth delinquency, said more details will be released later.
The event also saw the launch of a social media resource kit for educators, counsellors and law enforcement officers who work with at-risk youths. The kit aims to, among other things, highlight how youths could be drawn to criminal activities via social media.
"While social media connects efficiently and effectively, its use has its downside. For example, some youths are stressed from being wired all the time but are unwilling to disconnect for fear of missing out or not knowing,” said Assoc Prof Faishal.
“Also the recent spate of anonymous online confessions among youths have raised concerns among parents, educators and youth workers as some confessions and comments posted can be unkind and cruel."