- POSTED: 02 Jun 2014 14:45
Football Federation Australia said Monday it may re-submit its bid to host the 2022 World Cup, after fresh corruption allegations emerged surrounding Qatar's controversial campaign to host the tournament.
SYDNEY: Football Federation Australia said Monday it may re-submit its bid to host the 2022 World Cup, after fresh corruption allegations emerged surrounding Qatar's controversial campaign to host the tournament.
FFA chief executive David Gallop said he did not rule out the possibility of Australia re-entering the race if Qatar was stripped of the World Cup, following allegations of widespread corruption and bribery.
"It's a serious development, they're serious allegations and we're looking to see what the response to that will be," he told Melbourne local radio.
Britain's Sunday Times newspaper said it had obtained millions of emails, documents and bank transfers relating to alleged payments made by Qatari former top football official Mohamed bin Hammam.
The newspaper alleged that Bin Hammam, a former Asian Football Confederation president, used slush funds to pay cash to top football officials to win a "groundswell" of support for the tiny emirate's World Cup bid.
Qatar's 2022 football World Cup organisers vehemently deny any wrong-doing.
Gallop said that in the event of the 2022 hosting rights being re-opened, Australia could submit their bid once again.
"It's too early to say whether that re-opens the door of anything that happened a few years ago in terms of Australia's position but it's a bit of a 'watch this space' at this stage," he said.
Gallop said the FFA had been involved in FIFA's ongoing integrity investigation into corruption and the 2010 vote that awarded the World Cup to Qatar, a small Gulf peninsula with little football history.
He said the FFA had provided documents and interviews to chief FIFA investigator, US lawyer Michael Garcia.
If the latest allegations are proven, FIFA vice-president Jim Boyce has announced his support of the 2022 voting process being re-opened.
"We've been heavily involved in this now for many months in terms of the investigation that Mr Garcia is carrying out," Gallop said.
"I'm sure when we're in Brazil for FIFA congress then we'll find out more information, but don't be under any illusion that we haven't been involved in all of this for some time now.
"We've been involved in interviews, production of documents and also following carefully what's been happening away from Australia. We've got people who've been involved for some time now."
In the original December 2010 contest to host the tournament, Qatar received 11 votes, South Korea four, the United States and Japan three each, and Australia one in the first elimination round.
Qatar went on to beat the United States 14 votes to eight in the fourth round.
South Korea said Monday that it would wait for "confirmed facts" before deciding its position.
"These are no confirmed facts as yet, and it would be premature to comment. Our position has not been decided," an official from the Korea Football Association (KFA) said.
Another KFA official said: "We will await the outcome of any FIFA probe, and then follow its decision."
The Australian government spent A$45 million (US$42 million) helping to fund FFA's failed bid.