Channel NewsAsia

Football: Liverpool to review FIFA's Suarez ban

Liverpool said it would make no immediate decision on star striker Luis Suarez after he was given a nine-match international ban and four-month suspension from all football for biting an Italian opponent while on World Cup duty with Uruguay.

LONDON: Liverpool said it would make no immediate decision on star striker Luis Suarez after he was given a nine-match international ban and four-month suspension from all football for biting an Italian opponent while on World Cup duty with Uruguay.

A statement issued by the English Premier League giants' chief executive, Ian Ayre, shortly after FIFA announced the ban, said: "Liverpool Football Club will wait until we have seen and had time to review the FIFA Disciplinary Committee report before making any further comment."

FIFA's ban for Suarez's clash with Italy's Giorgio Chiellini on Tuesday ended the forward's involvement at the World Cup and was the third time the 27-year-old South American star had been banned for biting an opponent.

It has been estimated that Suarez's latest ban will see him miss at least nine matches at the start of the new Premier League season in August.

Tweet photos, videos and updates on this story to  @channelnewsasia