Channel NewsAsia

Tennis: Injured Nadal out of Toronto, Cincinnati

Rafael Nadal was forced to pull out of the forthcoming Toronto and Cincinnati Masters with a wrist injury on Wednesday (July 30), just under three weeks out from the US Open where he is defending champion.

TORONTO: Rafael Nadal was forced to pull out of the forthcoming Toronto and Cincinnati Masters with a wrist injury on Wednesday (July 30), just under three weeks out from the US Open where he is defending champion.

The 28-year-old Spaniard said he had hurt his right wrist in training and needed up to three weeks rest. The US Open gets under way in New York on August 25.

"Unfortunately I injured my right wrist yesterday (Tuesday) during practice and after the tests I have undergone today in Spain, including an MRI, and checking with my doctors, I will have to stay out of competition for at least 2-3 weeks," said the world number two.

"I am sorry and wish the best to the tournament and thank all of the fans for their support. I'm extremely disappointed that I am unable to defend my titles and compete in Toronto and Cincinnati this year. I was looking forward to coming and playing again after my great results last year."

The Toronto Masters starts on Monday with the Cincinnati event getting under way the following week.

Tweet photos, videos and updates on this story to  @channelnewsasia