- POSTED: 29 Jan 2014 22:58
The son of a senior British diplomat has been arrested in raids by counter-terror police, according to press reports Wednesday.
LONDON: The son of a senior British diplomat has been arrested in raids by counter-terror police, according to press reports Wednesday.
Several newspapers said the 19-year-old son of Nicholas Sutcliffe, a first secretary -- typically the third rung below an ambassador and the deputy head of mission in an embassy -- was one of two people arrested in the London raids at the weekend.
However, there were suggestions that officers could have raided the wrong address, the Daily Telegraph reported.
It quoted the teenager's grandmother as saying: "James has nothing to worry about. This is nothing to do with him.
"He has been told by the police that he has done nothing wrong."
Sutcliffe's sister-in-law described the arrest as "lunacy" and suggested it was a "mix-up".
The reports said the diplomat had worked in Brazil and Cuba.
The police searched two neighbouring houses in Streatham Hill, south London, on Saturday, they said in a statement.
A 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of an offence under anti-terrorism laws. He was bailed to return to a police station in April.
In a search linked to the raids in Streatham Hill, officers on Sunday began searching a house in Stratford, east London, which reports said was the home of a magistrate.
A 36-year-old woman was arrested later on suspicion of an offence under the same act and remained in custody Monday.
Newspapers said they believed it was the magistrate's daughter who had been arrested.
Reports said there were apparent Internet links between the diplomat's neighbours and the magistrate's daughter.
Police said the searches were carried out as a precautionary measure.
The Foreign Office declined to comment.