Skip to main content
Best News Website or Mobile Service
 
WAN-IFRA Digital Media Awards Worldwide
Best News Website or Mobile Service
 
Digital Media Awards Worldwide
Hamburger Menu

Advertisement

Advertisement

Asia

Philippines cancels 'Black Nazarene' parade again on COVID-19 concerns

Philippines cancels 'Black Nazarene' parade again on COVID-19 concerns

Devotees carry the statue of the Black Nazarene to a carriage on Jan 9, 2019. The annual Black Nazarene procession is one of the world's biggest shows of Catholic zeal. (File photo: AFP/Noel Celis)

MANILA: Philippine authorities have cancelled an annual procession, which normally draws millions of Catholic devotees accompanying a black wooden statue of Jesus Christ through the streets of Manila, for a second straight year due to COVID-19 concerns.

The government's coronavirus task force cancelled the "Black Nazerene" procession, which is one of the country's largest religious festivals, before celebrations related to the Jan 9 procession were due to start on Friday (Jan 7) because of rising COVID-19 infections.

FILE PHOTO: A man sprinkles holy water among Catholic devotees attending a mass on the feast day of the Black Nazarene, outside Quiapo Church in Manila, Philippines, January 9, 2021. REUTERS/Lisa Marie David

Unlike last year, there will be no in-person masses in the church housing the centuries-old statue, and police will be deployed to discourage people from gathering outside the building, authorities said.

"We understand (the cancellation) for our safety and health reasons," Father Douglas Badong, Parochial Vicar of Quiapo Church, told a news conference. He said that physical masses will take place in other provinces and online masses for devotees in the capital.

In prior years, devotees clad in yellow and maroon have thronged the life-sized statue as it is paraded through the streets of Manila aboard a rope-pulled carriage.

Daily COVID-19 cases in the Philippines jumped to more than 5,400 on Tuesday from less than 200 on Dec 21, including some infections caused by the Omicron variant, forcing the government to tighten curbs this week.

"We have seen how quickly COVID-19 spread after the holiday season ... we are calling for a suspension of all mass gatherings," Health Secretary Francisco Duque said late on Tuesday.

The Philippines has so far detected 14 domestic and imported cases of the highly contagious Omicron variant that has driven up COVID-19 case counts and dampened New Year festivities around much of the world.

With more than 2.86 million cases and 51,604 deaths, the Philippines has the second-highest COVID-19 infections and casualties in Southeast Asia, next to Indonesia.

BOOKMARK THIS: Our comprehensive coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic and its developments

Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus pandemic: https://cna.asia/telegram

Source: Reuters/kg
Categories

Advertisement

Also worth reading

Advertisement