Skip to main content

Advertisement

Advertisement

Asia

Philippines to declare health emergency after first community transmission of COVID-19

Philippines to declare health emergency after first community transmission of COVID-19

FILE PHOTO: Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte gestures during his fourth State of the Nation Address at the Philippine Congress in Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines on Jul 22, 2019. (Photo: REUTERS/Eloisa Lopez)

MANILA: Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte plans to declare a nationwide public health emergency following confirmation of the country's first community transmission of the disease, the presidential aide said on Saturday (Mar 7).

Earlier in the day, the nation's health officials said the country recorded its first case of local transmission, and called for measures to contain its spread.

The nation's health ministry has reported three new cases of the infection since Friday, adding to the three Chinese tourists who were diagnosed with the virus in January and the first week of February.

Duterte has agreed to declare a health emergency following the latest development, Bong Go, chairman of the Senate Committee on Health and a close aide of the president, told reporters.

All government agencies were asked to "undertake critical, urgent and appropriate response and measures in a timely manner to curtail and eliminate the COVID-19 threat," Go said.

READ: China COVID-19 fight sparks outcry over female frontline staff

The Philippines' first case of community transmission involves a 62-year-old male Filipino who had not travelled abroad recently.

His 59-year-old wife has also been infected, bringing the number of confirmed cases in the country to six, the health ministry said, adding that both are being treated at a government hospital.

The health ministry declared a code red alert which calls on medical professionals to be prepared to report for duty and recommended the declaration of a public health emergency, which would help with the procurement of critical supplies as well as with quarantine measures.

READ: Facebook shuts London, Singapore offices after COVID-19 case

"This is a preemptive call to ensure that national and local governments and public and private healthcare providers can prepare for possible increase in suspected and confirmed cases," Health Secretary Francisco Duque told a news conference.

The coronavirus has spread to more than 90 countries, infecting more than 100,000 people and killing over 3,400 people worldwide.

BOOKMARK THIS: Our comprehensive coverage on the Wuhan coronavirus and its developments

Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the Wuhan virus outbreak: https://cna.asia/telegram 

Source: Reuters/ic/aj

Advertisement

Also worth reading

Advertisement