Skip to main content




Malaysians evacuated from Wuhan arrive at KLIA

Malaysians evacuated from Wuhan arrive at KLIA

Malaysians arriving home from Wuhan on Feb 4, 2020. (Photo: Bernama)

SEPANG: The special flight carrying Malaysian nationals from Wuhan, China, the epicentre of the novel coronavirus, arrived at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) early Tuesday (Feb 4).

The AirAsia flight chartered specifically for the mission landed at 5.57am.

A total of 107 individuals, comprising Malaysians and their non-Malaysian spouses and children, were brought home on the flight. 

Also on board were 12 crew members, eight mission personnel and six officers from the Malaysian Embassy in Beijing.

READ: Malaysia to quarantine citizens evacuated from Wuhan in remote location

READ: Malaysia confirms new case of Wuhan virus; total of 8 infected

The flight departed from the Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 for Wuhan at 3.50pm on Monday.

The aircraft also brought with it 500,000 pairs of rubber gloves as a contribution to the Chinese government in an effort to contain the coronavirus outbreak in the country. 

Malaysians evacuated from Wuhan on Feb 4, 2020 will be quarantined for 14 days. (Photo: Twitter/KKMPutrajaya)

All passengers, upon arrival in Malaysia, underwent health screening at the Air Disaster Unit in KLIA.

In a statement on Tuesday,  the National Disaster Management Agency (NADMA) said two out of the 107 individuals did not pass the screening and have been sent to Kuala Lumpur Hospital. 

The rest were ferried to a surveillance centre at the Higher Education Leadership Academy at Bandar Enstek, Nilai, Negeri Sembilan, where they would be quarantined for 14 days. 

"Health screenings will be performed twice a day to ensure they are completely healthy and can be discharged upon the completion of this monitoring process," NADMA said.

It was originally reported that a total of 141 Malaysians and their family members would be evacuated from Wuhan, but only 107 boarded the flight. 

The rest could not make it due to logistical problems. 

"They were outside Wuhan city and it was difficult to get transportation to the city or the airport," NADMA said.

BOOKMARK THIS: Our comprehensive coverage on the Wuhan coronavirus and its developments

Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the Wuhan virus outbreak: 


Also worth reading