Skip to main content
Best News Website or Mobile Service
 
WAN-IFRA Digital Media Awards Worldwide
Best News Website or Mobile Service
 
Digital Media Awards Worldwide
Hamburger Menu

Advertisement

Advertisement

Business

Dollar eases from near two-decade peak as Jackson Hole looms

Dollar eases from near two-decade peak as Jackson Hole looms

FILE PHOTO: Chinese Yuan and U.S. dollar banknotes are seen in this illustration taken February 10, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration

TOKYO : The U.S. dollar edged back from near a two-decade peak against a basket of major currencies on Thursday as investors looked to a speech by Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell the following day for fresh clues on the path for monetary policy.

The dollar index, which measures the greenback against six counterparts, eased 0.15 per cent to 108.47, but remained not far from its highest since September 2002 at 109.29, touched in mid-July.

Investors have been bracing for the Fed to double down on its commitment to crushing inflation at its annual gathering in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Money markets have pared back expectations that the U.S. central bank could tilt to a slower pace of rate hikes following a chorus of hawkish Fed commentary in recent weeks, and currently lay 60.5 per cent odds on another super-sized 75 basis-point rate hike next month versus 39.5 per cent probability of a half point increase.

"Expectations of a hawkish message from FOMC Chair Powell at Jackson Hole will likely keep upward pressure on the USD," Commonwealth Bank of Australia analyst Kristina Clifton wrote in a client note.

"However there is a risk that the speech is deemed not hawkish enough and that we see some retracement in the USD." 

The dollar retreated 0.25 per cent to 136.775 yen, but remained not too far from this week's one-month high of 137.705.

The euro edged 0.14 per cent higher to $0.99825, after sliding to a 20-year low of $0.99005 on Tuesday.

The single currency has been hurt by growth concerns as the region faces an energy crisis, with investors on edge before Russia halts gas supplies through the main Nord Stream 1 pipeline for three days from Wednesday for unscheduled maintenance.

Sterling gained 0.17 per cent to $1.18105, after dipping to the lowest since March 2020 on Tuesday at $1.1718.

The Australian dollar gained 0.19 per cent to $0.6920, up from a more than one-month low of $0.6856 earlier in the week.

New Zealand's kiwi lagged its Antipodean peer with a 0.06 per cent rise to $0.6194, hampered by data showing a decline in retail sales. It was at a one-month low of $0.6157 on Monday.

Source: Reuters
Categories

Advertisement

Also worth reading

Advertisement