Four Singaporeans killed in Port Dickson accident

Four Singaporeans killed in Port Dickson accident

Port Dickson car accident
Four people were killed when a Singapore-registered car was crushed by a lorry at Port Dickson on Wednesday (Jan 3). Photos of the accident were circulated on social media.

PORT DICKSON, Negeri Sembilan: Four Singaporeans were killed in an accident involving three cars, a lorry and a motorcycle at the Lukut-Sepang junction near Port Dickson at 2.30pm on Wednesday (Jan 3).

Port Dickson police chief, Supt Zainudin Ahmad told Channel NewsAsia that three female passengers in a Singapore-registered Honda Stream were killed on the spot. The male driver of the car died on the way to the hospital.

They were Rosli Samad, 54, Maimunah Sapari, 51, Dayana Sarah Rosli, 18, and Nor Amalina Rosli, 21.

Four other Malaysians were injured in the accident. 

“Preliminary investigations found that the lorry driven by a man, which (was travelling) from Sepang, hit the motorcycle before skidding onto the opposite lane and crashing into the Honda Stream, a Mercedes and a Perodua Myvi. 

“The drivers of the other two cars, the motorcyclist and the lorry driver were also injured,” Mr Zainudin told Bernama.

He said the bodies and injured victims were taken to Port Dickson Hospital.

Port Dickson accident 2
A screen shot of a video circulating online showed the lorry coming in a high speed across several lanes before crashing into the vehicles, including the Singapore-registered Honda. 

Photos and videos of the accident circulated online showed the Honda Stream completely crushed, with the lorry on top of it.

The driver of the lorry, a 54-year-old man, later turned himself in at the traffic division of the Port Dickson police headquarters. 

Police will seek a remand order on him at the Port Dickson Magistrate's Court on Thursday to facilitate investigations. 

A spokesperson for Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said: "MFA extends our deepest condolences to the family of the four Singaporeans who passed away in the tragic car accident at Port Dickson, Malaysia. The Singapore High Commission in Kuala Lumpur is in contact with the Malaysian authorities and is rendering the necessary consular assistance to the next-of-kin of the family.”

Source: Bernama/CNA/ng