Hong Kong police defuse pipe bomb, arrest four for manufacturing explosives

Hong Kong police defuse pipe bomb, arrest four for manufacturing explosives

Hong kong police talking to press at mongkok after explosive was found
A screengrab of Senior Superintendent Chan Tin-chu speaking to reporters on Jan 14. (Image: Facebook/Hong Kong Police Force)

HONG KONG: Hong Kong police said they defused a pipe bomb and arrested four men for manufacturing explosives after raiding an apartment where they found protest-related items such as Guy Fawkes masks and protective gear.

Police also searched a village house in a northern neighbourhood where they found laboratory equipment they suspect could be used for producing explosives. The men were aged 21 to 29, a senior officer said late on Tuesday (Jan 14).

Police have reported several discoveries of guns and explosives in recent months as pro-democracy protests that escalated in June over a now-withdrawn Bill that would have allowed extraditions to China have kept a relentless pace.

In a separate statement on Wednesday, the government said it cancelled its usual Lunar New Year fireworks display in the picturesque Victoria harbour, originally planned for Jan 26, due to "public safety considerations".

Senior Superintendent Chan Tin-chu told reporters that the bomb was 20 cm long and weighed 680 grams. A controlled explosion produced shrapnel that left a hole in the metal door of an elevator in the building, he said.

"If the bomb was ... thrown at a car, all the people inside the vehicle would definitely die," Chan said.

Those arrested were suspected of being members of an anti-government protest group, he said. Three of the men were tertiary students and were also charged with illegal assembly on New Year's day.

In early December, police said officers had defused two homemade bombs found at a centrally-located school.

MORE: Our coverage of the Hong Kong protests

Follow us on Telegram for the latest on Hong Kong: https://cna.asia/telegram

Source: Reuters/nr