KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian police want to question and possibly extradite convicted British pedophile Richard Huckle, lamenting the lack of information they were given from British authorities investigating the case.
Last week, Huckle was given 22 life sentences by a London court for sexual offences against 23 Malaysian and Cambodian children.
Inspector General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said there could have been better collaboration between British and Malaysian police as his team was only informed of Huckle prior to his arrest in December 2014.
"We were only informed that this was a suspected paedophile but when we requested additional information about who the victims were, we were not given anything," he told media at a press conference in Kuala Lumpur.
"Only when the case went to trial, we found out how many suspected Malaysian victims there were and now we've been able to identify two of the victims."
However, Mr Khalid said he believed the ability to work together may have been restricted because "under European by-laws, they cannot cooperate with countries that have capital punishment".
Malaysian police now want to interview Huckle in British prison to get more information - and they are exploring the possibility of extraditing him too.
"First of all we need to have police reports from the Malaysian victims - we don't have that now - not one family or parent came forward to make a police report," he said.
"So we need to back track now. When we have enough information, enough evidence that can allow us to request for extradition - that is one option we can use."
Britain's National Crime Agency (NCA) deputy director, Andrew Brennan, told reporters after Huckle’s sentencing on Monday that the British had informed the Malaysian authorities of Huckle’s case in November 2014 and shared “all the information and all of the intelligence” that they had on Huckle at that time.
“Let me assure you we have met Malaysian authorities on a number of occasions throughout autumn of 2014,” Brennan said outside of London’s Old Bailey court.
“When it became clear they (Malaysia) didn’t have sufficient evidence to arrest him, we made the decision that we would arrest him in December 2014,” he added.
The British High Commission also told Reuters in a statement on Tuesday that it had been engaged with the Malaysians since 2014.
“Where British nationals commit such offences, anywhere in the world, we will work to bring offenders to justice and ensure victims get the right protection and treatment,” said a spokesman for the British High Commission.
“International cooperation is critical for that. Our engagement with the Malaysian authorities on the Richard Huckle case, since 2014, reflects that.”
The Malaysian police did not immediately respond to a request for comments on the British High Commission’s statement.