Philippines extends Manila's coronavirus lockdown to May 15

Philippines extends Manila's coronavirus lockdown to May 15

Daily life amid coronavirus lockdown in Metro Manila
A cat walks past a man wearing a protective face mask who guard a barricade placed on an empty street amid the lockdown to contain the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Metro Manila, Philippines, April 21, 2020. REUTERS/Eloisa Lopez

MANILA: Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has extended until May 15 a lockdown in the capital Manila, his spokesman said on Friday (Apr 24), stretching to eight weeks one of the world's strictest community quarantines to curb COVID-19 infections.

The measures will be expanded to other regions with big outbreaks but modified in lower-risk areas, which would see a partial resumption of work, transport and commerce, Harry Roque told reporters.

Television broadcast images on Friday of a crisis panel meeting where Duterte had made the decision late the previous day. He also offered a reward of 50 million pesos (US$986,000) to any Filipino who could create a vaccine.

"We are all at risk, but do not increase the odds or chances of getting it," he said, warning against complacency.

READ: Philippines' Duterte threatens martial law if communist rebels disrupt COVID-19 aid

Manila, a heavily congested city of at least 13 million people and millions more informal settlers, accounts for more than two-thirds of the country's 6,981 infections and 462 deaths.

After China and Italy, but just a few days before Spain, the Philippines became the third country to order tight lockdown and home quarantine, even though it had only a fraction of the infections and deaths of nations that took similar measures.

READ: Coronavirus outbreak at Philippine jail fuels calls for prisoner releases

The Philippines introduced curbs on immigration, travel, commerce, gatherings on Mar 12, five days after the first case of domestic transmission, and expanded on Mar 16. It is closed to all except repatriated Filipinos.

Airlines in the Philippines will also extend flight suspensions to mid-May.

The Philippines' major airlines said on Friday their domestic and international flights will remain suspended until mid-May following the latest extension of lockdown measures.

Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific and the Philippine unit of Malaysia's AirAsia Group Berhad said passenger flights, which were halted in March, will remain suspended. Cargo and special recovery flights will continue, the airlines told Reuters.

The approach aims to keep overstretched health services from being overwhelmed and create a window to ramp up testing, which started slowly to gain ground in recent weeks.

But with just 72,000 tests, the government last week estimated it had managed to track only a quarter of projected infections. The health ministry has said it was too early to say if the infection curve had been flattened.

BOOKMARK THIS: Our comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus outbreak and its developments

Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak: https://cna.asia/telegram

Source: Reuters

Bookmark