Philippines receives US$29 million of military equipment from US to boost defences

Philippines receives US$29 million of military equipment from US to boost defences

Delfin Lorenzana and Christopher Miller
Philippines Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana (right) accepts military equipment from acting United States Defense Secretary Christopher Miller on Dec 8, 2020. (Photo: Facebook/Department of National Defense - Philippines)

MANILA: The Philippines has received 1.4 billion pesos (US$29 million) worth of military equipment from the United States, its defence minister said on Tuesday (Dec 8), part of efforts to bolster the country's external defence and counterterrorism capabilities.

Equipment including sniper rifles and anti-improvised explosive device gear was handed over during a visit by acting US Defense Secretary Christopher Miller, who is on a two-nation visit in Southeast Asia.

"The modernisation of the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) will ultimately allow us to respond more effectively to both traditional and non-traditional security threats to our maritime nation," Philippines Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said in a statement.

The Philippines is by far the largest recipient of US military assistance in the Indo-Pacific region, having received US$685 million worth of planes, ships, armoured vehicles and small arms since 2015, the US Embassy in Manila said.

READ: Commentary: Parts of Asia will miss Donald Trump’s tough China policy

READ: Unified ASEAN can avert South China Sea conflict: Philippine minister

Miller' trip came just a few weeks after US national security adviser Robert O'Brien visited Manila to deliver US$18 million worth of precision-guided munitions.

Last year, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo assured the Philippines that the US would come to its defence if it is attacked in the South China Sea.

The US and China have been at loggerheads over issues from technology and human rights to Chinese maritime militarisation, with each accusing the other of deliberately provocative behaviour.

China's claim to 90 per cent of the South China Sea includes areas claimed by Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam. An international tribunal in 2016 ruled that China's expansive claim, based on its historical maps, is inconsistent with international law.

Source: Reuters/kg

Bookmark