US search firm says to end MH370 hunt in 'coming days'

US search firm says to end MH370 hunt in 'coming days'

US firm Ocean Infinity used the Norwegian research vessel Seabed Constructor to scour for MH370
US firm Ocean Infinity used the Norwegian research vessel Seabed Constructor to scour for MH370 wreckage in the Indian Ocean AFP/TONY ASHBY

KUALA LUMPUR: A private hunt for flight MH370 will end in the coming days, a search firm said Tuesday (May 29), about four years after the plane's disappearance sparked one of the world's greatest aviation mysteries.

The Malaysia Airlines jet vanished in March 2014 with 239 people - mostly from China - on board, en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

No sign of the plane was found in a 120,000-square kilometre (46,000-square mile) sea search zone and the Australian-led hunt, the largest in aviation history, was suspended in January last year.

After pressure from families, the former Malaysian government struck a deal with US exploration firm Ocean Infinity to restart the search in January on the condition it would only be paid if the Boeing 777 or its black boxes were found.

The firm stood to make up to US$70 million if successful but did not find any sign of the airliner despite scouring the seabed with some of the world's most high-tech search equipment.

The hunt was officially meant to end late April but was extended. However, the new government of Mahathir Mohamad, which came to power after a shock election win this month, announced last week the search was set to end.

Texas-based Ocean Infinity said in a statement Tuesday that "its current search for the wreckage of... Flight MH370 is shortly coming to an end".

A spokesman added the hunt would end in the coming days, without giving a precise date.

"NOTHING HIDDEN"

"I would firstly like to extend the thoughts of everyone at Ocean Infinity to the families of those who have lost loved ones on MH370," said Ocean Infinity CEO Oliver Plunkett in the statement.

"Part of our motivation for renewing the search was to try to provide some answers to those affected. It is therefore with a heavy heart that we end our current search without having achieved that aim." 

He added: "We are most grateful to the Government of Malaysia for entertaining our offer and affording us the opportunity to recommence the search. The commitment that the new government in Malaysia has made to prioritising finding MH370 was very good to hear." 

Plunkett said the failure to find the wreckage was "extremely disappointing" but he hoped that his company would be able to "again offer our services in the search for MH370 in future".

Malaysia's new government has not indicated that it wants to revive the search but has pledged to be more open about the mystery. Transport Minister Anthony Loke said Monday that a full report into MH370's disappearance would be published soon.

"There will not be any edits, nothing will be hidden," he told reporters.

Ocean Infinity said it had scoured over 112,000 square kilometres of seabed, including 25,000 square kilometres north of the original search zone which scientists later identified as the most likely crash site.

The ship conducting the hunt, Seabed Constructor, was a Norwegian research vessel carrying 65 crew, including two members of the Malaysian navy as the government's representatives.

It used eight autonomous drones equipped with sonars and cameras, able to operate at depths up to 6,000 metres (20,000 feet).

Only three confirmed fragments of MH370 have been found, all of them on western Indian Ocean shores, including a two-metre wing part known as a flaperon.

The jet's disappearance stands as one of the most enduring aviation mysteries of all time and has spawned a host of theories, with some blaming a hijacking or even a terror plot.

Source: AFP/CNA/hs

Bookmark