Crazy Rich Asians is finally here. Well, sort of.
The first full trailer for the rom-com about Singapore’s secret moneyed elite has been released – and it looks like the Hollywood adaptation of Singaporean Kevin Kwan’s bestselling novel is living up to its title.
Directed by Asian-American director Jon M Chu (Now You See Me 2), Crazy Rich Asians tells the story of Chinese-American economics professor Rachel Chu (played by Fresh Off The Boat’s Constance Wu), who follows her Singaporean boyfriend Nick Young (Henry Golding) back home for a visit, only to discover that he is the heir to one of the biggest fortunes in Asia.
All eyes are firmly on this highly anticipated film, which is billed as the first Hollywood film to feature an all-Asian cast since Joy Luck Club. The main cast includes bigwigs such as Michelle Yeoh, Ken Jeong, Awkwafina and Ronny Chieng.
Filming took place on location in Singapore as well as various parts of Malaysia.
Here’s what caught our eye in the trailer so far.
1. Passion made possible? Various requisite Singapore skyline tourism porn shots of Shenton Way, Marina Bay Sands, Gardens By The Bay and of course, the Merlion. The Singapore Tourism Board should be so proud.
2. Who knew the inside of CHIJMES chapel could look like that? Only in our Garden City would we take our outdoor plants indoors.
3. Spotted! Singapore thespians Janice Koh (playing Felicity Young), Amy Cheng (Jacqueline Ling) and Selena Tan (Alexandra "Alix" Young) having a whale of a time behind doyenne Michelle Yeoh (Eleanor Young).
4. Oh, even crazy rich Asians like Nick Young, Colin Khoo and Araminta Lee take a break from haute cuisine for some local delights and dare we say, Tiger Beer, at Newton Hawker Centre?
5. Looks like Singaporean actor Pierre Png is kissing everyone these days! Here he is as Michael Teo, spotted with some very nice abs, having a nice smooch with Gemma Chan's Astrid Teo.
6. Spotted! Singaporean Fiona Xie (right) as Kitty Pong who just about made it in the trailer squeezing in a hammy moment by the edge of the frame. Singaporean Constance Lau ain't going to let her steal the limelight though...
7. Everyone knows if you want to skive for a natter with your best friend about your crazy rich boyfriend's evil mother, the best place to do it is at Bukit Pasoh, right across from The Reading Room. Right?
8. Aqua-robics at night at the Marina Bay Sands Infinity Pool. We've never witnessed something like this but that's probably because we aren't crazy rich Asians.
9. Spotted! Singapore's very own Tan Kheng Hua as Rachel's mother Kerry Chu, giving us that all too familiar concerned Asian mother look when you confide about your boyfriend and his possibly crazy family.
Crazy Rich Asians opens in Singapore on Aug 22.