Tokyo is the birthplace of sushi as we know it – it’s why serious sushi restaurants in Japan’s capital city call their style “Edomae”, a tradition believed to have started in the early 1800s by Edo sushi chef Hanaya Yohei.
Newly rebranded Sushi Ayumu – nestled on the fourth floor of upscale Mandarin Gallery – is determined to continue the tradition right here in Singapore by bringing in freshest daily catch right to our very doorstep.
If you enjoy the authentic taste of Tokyo without the hassle of travelling, we're offering five lucky CNA Lifestyle Facebook followers and their plus-ones an omakase experience worth S$350 (per person) on Feb 22.
Sign-up details for this delicious edition of CNA Lifestyle Experiences are at the end of the story. Invitations are exclusive to CNA Lifestyle Facebook followers, so you'll want to follow us here. Closing date: Feb 17.
The combination of the most pristine seafood, together with knife skills, decades of know-how and sleek Japanese aesthetics, makes having sushi at Sushi Ayumu an almost transcendent experience.
"Ayumu" means walking towards a new beginning in Japanese. Which is exactly what head Chef Ryoichi Nakatani and senior Sushi Chef Yusuke Kawana – who each boast more than 20 years of experience working in top Tokyo-style sushi restaurants in Japan – are armed and ready to do entering the restaurant’s new chapter.
With seasonal delights like grilled Nodoguro in Bincho – a delicious Blackthroat sea perch known as the “King Of White Fish” prized for its fatty and tender meat; and the creamy and sweet Bafun Uni flown in from Hokkaido, you may never look at raw fish on rice the same way again.
The jewel in the sushi crown to look out for is the exquisite Kamasu Bincho with Uni Salt – a lightly seared sweet barracuda that is perfect with just a touch of house-made uni salt.
Other seasonal items special to the CNA Lifestyle winners include the delicate Firefly Squid and Tsubugai – a sweet and crunchy whelk.
Also on the must-try list is the Wild Kohada (Gizzard Shad) – known as one of the ultimate neta (ingredients) in Edomae sushi. Many sushi aficionados would consider the kohada as one of the ways to judge the skills of a sushi chef, as the kohada is best prepared by a skilled chef.
Sushi Ayumu’s kohada is currently sourced from Kumamoto, Kyushu, and carefully tailored to Singaporean tastes. The Kohada is sliced into very thin stripes, then braided for a completely novel texture, and enhanced with a refreshing touch of yuzu zest.
The Tokyo (Edo) style sushi served at Sushi Ayumu involves the use of marinating techniques that date back to the Edo period, which helped to preserve fish before the days of refrigeration.
The freshest seasonal harvest like hon-maguro and uni – procured from the same supplier as Michelin-starred sushi-yas Sushi Saito and Sushi Sawada no less – is married perfectly with the restaurant’s signature shari (sushi rice) served warm.
The Japanese rice is sourced from the only rice sommelier in Singapore, then specially seasoned with the restaurant’s unique blend of three types of red vinegar, each blend carefully concocted to best enhance the flavours of the different types of fish, for each sushi to shine on its plate.
To cleanse the palate in between dishes, two different types of gari (ginger) are offered, with one of it being younger ginger marinated in-house with the restaurant’s special blend.
Last but certainly not least, the restaurant’s signature Ayumu Roll will be served, as definitive proof that there is no such thing as too much of a good thing. A mouth-watering combination of the best of the best, the collision of Chutoro, Bafun Uni, Buri and Shiso Leaf in an explosion of colours and taste.
Are you ready to tease your taste buds? Follow CNA Lifestyle on Facebook for access to more exclusive dining experiences.
Sushi Ayumu, #04-16 Mandarin Gallery, 333A Orchard Road Singapore 238897, https://www.sushi-ayumu.com/
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- This contest is organised by Mediacorp Pte Ltd (“Mediacorp”). This contest is valid from 11 to 17 Feb 2019, and is open to all residents of Singapore who are above 21 years old except for employees of Mediacorp, its related companies and their immediate family members. By participating in this contest, the participant agrees to be bound by the official rules, regulations and decisions of Mediacorp.
- 5 winners will each win an invite for 1 person to attend this event.
- By participating in this contest, the participant agrees to participate in any form of publicity for this contest. Mediacorp reserves the right to disqualify any winner(s) in the event that the winner(s) refuses or fails to participate in such publicity for this contest.
- The invite is non-transferable or exchangeable for cash, credit, goods or services. Mediacorp reserves the right to replace the invite with other invitations of similar value without giving prior notice.
- The decisions of Mediacorp on all matters relating to this contest are final, conclusive and binding and no appeals or correspondence will be entertained.
- Mediacorp reserves the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- By participating in this contest, participants agree that their personal data may be used by Mediacorp and the Mediacorp group of companies (collectively “Mediacorp”) to send them marketing and advertising materials in relation to goods and services of Mediacorp and its business partners, and for research and analysis. If you have any questions relating to Mediacorp’s collection, use and disclosure of your personal data, please contact Mediacorp’s Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The invitation is not redeemable for cash, credit or any other items with Sushi Ayumu.
- Mediacorp reserves the right to change, amend or add to these terms and conditions without prior notice. Mediacorp further reserves the right, without any liability on its part whatsoever, to cancel, postpone, or in any other way terminate this contest at any time without prior notice.
- No obligation will be incurred by Mediacorp or its sponsors by reason of participation in this contest or by reason of anything done or omitted to be done by the participants as a result of or on account of this contest. Mediacorp shall not be liable or responsible for any and all losses, damages, costs and/or expenses (of any nature whatsoever) suffered by any participant arising from any failure or refusal, for whatever reason, to deliver or transfer, whether by Mediacorp or its sponsors, the prize or make good on any promise or offer to the participants.
- Each participant expressly acknowledges and agrees that Mediacorp shall not be liable to any of the participant(s) for any injury, loss or damage whatsoever or howsoever caused arising directly or indirectly in connection with this contest or the prize, including any loss, damage or injury.
- These terms and conditions and this contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with Singapore laws.