SINGAPORE: Seventeen people were injured after two service 945 buses collided at Bukit Batok interchange on Sunday (Jul 11) evening.
Member of Parliament for Bukit Batok SMC Murali Pillai confirmed this in a Facebook post on Sunday evening, after photos of the incident began circulating online.
"One bus was pulling into the interchange whereas the other bus was pulling out. The impact caused one of the buses to mount a kerb and fall to its side," said Mr Murali.
He also thanked the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) for its "swift response".
SCDF said it received a call for help at about 5.05pm.
"Upon SCDF’s arrival, a passenger bus was found lying on its side. Eight persons were inside the bus while another nine were found outside the bus," SCDF said in a Facebook post on Sunday night.
Rescuers entered the bus through its rear windscreen, which had shattered.
"The rescuers created an additional point of entry at the front of the bus by using an electrical saw to cut through the front windscreen," SCDF said.
"Once inside, rescue equipment were used to cut several poles off so as to create space for the casualties to be rescued safely," it added.
Two people were carried from the bus on stretchers, while six were guided to safety on foot.
Of the 17 people injured, eight were taken to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital, four to National University Hospital and two to Tan Tock Seng Hospital, SCDF said.
The remaining three people had minor injuries and did not want to be taken to hospital.
Police investigations are ongoing.
Responding to CNA's queries, a Tower Transit Singapore spokesperson said that only one of the buses involved was carrying passengers.
Tower Transit also said it was working closely with police in their investigations and that the driver of the bus that was not carrying passengers had been suspended pending investigation.
Among those injured were a Tower Transit bus driver and an SBS Transit bus driver who was not driving. Both were taken to hospital, said the spokesperson.
"Our staff and management were onsite to assist the SCDF in attending to the injured and were present at the hospital to provide support," said Tower Transit.
"We apologise to all our passengers who were involved in the accident and those who may have been inconvenienced by it. We have reached out to the injured passengers and are actively providing assistance," it added.
It also said that its bus services were not disrupted by the accident.
The executive secretary of the National Transport Workers' Union, Mr Melvin Yong, also weighed in on what he described as a "bad accident".
In a Facebook post on Sunday night, Mr Yong said the SBS Transit bus driver was injured by the falling bus while he was on his break.
The NTWU has reached out to all three bus drivers to provide them with help and support, he added.