SINGAPORE: Singapore reported 40 new COVID-19 cases as of noon on Sunday (Sep 6), including four in the community and 13 imported cases, said the Ministry of Health (MOH).
This brings the total number of cases in the country to 57,022.
Three of the community infections were work permit holders, and one was a work pass holder.
Of the four community cases, three were detected as a result of MOH's surveillance and screening, and one had already been placed in quarantine earlier.
All four cases were asymptomatic, and were detected through MOH's proactive testing.
Two of the community cases were linked to previous cases or clusters. A 27-year-old Bangladeshi was identified as a contact of a previously confirmed case and was placed in quarantine earlier.
A 34-year-old Indian national is linked to a new cluster at CDPL Tuas Dormitory, which was previously cleared of the disease. He was detected as a result of MOH's rostered routine testing of workers in the construction, marine and process sectors who are living outside the dormitories.
The other two community cases are currently unlinked to previous cases. Both were also detected as a result of the rostered routine testing.
"Overall, the number of new cases in the community has decreased, from an average of three cases per day in the week before, to an average of two per day in the past week," MOH said.
"The number of unlinked cases in the community has increased, from an average of one case per day in the week before, to an average of two per day in the past week."
Three new places were also added to the list of public places visited by COVID-19 cases in the community during their infectious period.
The new locations are as follows:
The 13 imported cases were all placed on stay-home notices upon arrival in Singapore, said MOH.
Four of these cases are Singaporeans and two are permanent residents who returned to Singapore from India between Aug 24 and Aug 26, and the Philippines on Aug 25.
Five work permit holders and one work pass holder who are currently employed in Singapore arrived from India on Aug 25, Indonesia on Aug 24 and 25, and the Philippines on Aug 23 and Aug 25.
The remaining imported case is a 45-year-old student’s pass holder who arrived from India on Aug 25.
THREE NEW CLUSTERS IN DORMITORIES
The remaining 23 cases reported on Sunday were those staying in dormitories. Five of them were identified earlier as contacts of previous cases, MOH said.
The remaining 18 cases were detected through surveillance testing, such as the bi-weekly rostered routine testing of workers living in dormitories.
"This allows us to pick up cases early, including asymptomatic ones, so that we are able to ring-fence them quickly to prevent further transmission, by aggressively containing, tracing and isolating the close contacts," MOH said.
Besides the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test, MOH conducted serological tests to determine if some of these cases are current or past infections.
"The serological test result for one case has come back positive so far, which indicate likely past infection," the ministry said.
MOH also reported three new clusters at dormitories that were previously cleared of COVID-19: Cassia @ Penjuru at 15 Penjuru Walk, CDPL Tuas Dormitory at 6 Tuas South Street 15, and Kranji Lodge I at 12 Kranji Road.
Thirteen of the earlier confirmed cases have now been linked to form a new cluster at Cassia @ Penjuru.
Seven of the newly confirmed caseswere linked to 10 previous cases to form a new cluster at CDPL Tuas Dormitory.
Five of the earlier confirmed cases have now been linked to form a new cluster at Kranji Lodge I.
66 MORE PEOPLE DISCHARGED
Another 66 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals or community isolation facilities, MOH said.
In all, 56,333 have fully recovered from the infection and have been discharged from hospitals or community care facilities.
There are currently 51 confirmed cases who are still in hospital, the ministry said. Of these, most are stable or improving, and no one is in the intensive care unit.
A total of 611 patients are isolated and cared for at community facilities. These are people who have mild symptoms, or are clinically well but still test positive for COVID-19.
Twenty-seven people have died from complications due to COVID-19.
THREE NEW CLUSTERS ON SATURDAY
On Saturday, MOH announced that new clusters were identified at three more dormitories that were previously cleared of COVID-19.
The new clusters are at Cochrane Lodge 1 at 51 Admiralty Road West, Mandai Lodge 1 at 460 Mandai Road and Tuas South Dormitory at 1 Tuas South Street 12.
On Wednesday, the ministry announced it removed 41 COVID-19 cases from the total count after further investigations showed they were negative.
In response to CNA’s queries, MOH said on Saturday “most of these cases had been added to the case count over the past few months due to administrative errors”.
"Most of these cases had been added to the case count over the past few months due to administrative errors such as wrongly recorded or duplicated entries, or reclassified following laboratory investigations and clinicians’ assessment," said the health ministry.