Escalator catches fire at Chinatown Point, no one injured

Escalator catches fire at Chinatown Point, no one injured

Shoppers were evacuated after the electrical wiring under a third-floor escalator caught fire at about 3pm on Sunday (Mar 5).

Escalator burnt
An escalator landing that caught fire at Chinatown Point mall on Sunday (Mar 5). (Photo: Kenneth Lim)

SINGAPORE: The electrical wiring at the third-floor escalator landing at Chinatown Point caught fire on Sunday (Mar 5), filling the mall with smoke.

There were no reported injuries, said the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF).

SCDF said it was alerted to the fire at about 3pm and dispatched two fire engines, two Red Rhinos and two support vehicles. Firefighters extinguished the fire using a water jet.

Perennial Real Estate, which manages Chinatown point, said preliminary investigations showed electrical wiring in the motor of the Schindler escalator was burnt.

The escalators at the mall are serviced monthly and the affected escalator last underwent maintenance on Feb 15, a spokesperson said.

The spokesperson added that a detailed investigation will be carried out jointly with Schindler. In the meantime, the affected escalator has been put out of service and blocked off for access. The management will also put up signs to inform patrons that it is out of service.


Eyewitnesses spotted fire engines outside the mall and firefighters were seen walking through the smokey lobby.

FB: Smoke at Chinatown Point

Tour consultant Ng Hui Qing, who works at EU Holidays at Chinatown Point, told Channel NewsAsia that no fire alarm sounded.

"Nobody knew, everyone was just being normal, walking around. Then everybody just left very calmly," she said, adding that there was no fire in sight and people were taking photos and videos even as they evacuated.

Perennial said it was investigating why the fire alarm did not go off.

Source: CNA/mz

Bookmark