SINGAPORE: Local telcos Singtel, StarHub and M1 have pulled the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 off their shelves shortly after the South Korean electronics giant announced a global recall of its latest mobile device amid reports that some devices exploded while being charged.
"Samsung has informed us that it will provide customers with updates on phone exchange at a later date. In the meantime, Galaxy Note7 users seeking more information on their phone can contact Samsung’s customer care hotline at 1800-Samsung,” a StarHub spokesperson told Channel NewsAsia.
M1, on its Facebook page, said: "In line with Samsung's global Note 7 sales halt, M1 has stopped sales of the handset."
Exploding batteries had forced Samsung to delay shipments of Galaxy Note 7 smartphones. In a statement, Samsung said it would prepare replacement devices for phones already sold after finding problems with the battery cell used.
The manufacturer added that it would take about two weeks to prepare replacement devices for the phones already sold. It was not clear when new sales of the devices would begin.
Speculation over the recall has already knocked US$7 billion off the global smartphone leader's market value.
Investors drove the stock to two-week lows after Samsung told Reuters late on Wednesday the shipments had been delayed for quality control testing, and that shipments to South Korea's top three mobile carriers had been halted.