M1 says fibre broadband service fully restored after 9-hour disruption

M1 says fibre broadband service fully restored after 9-hour disruption

The M1 logo. (File photo: M1)

SINGAPORE: M1 said on Wednesday (May 22) that its services have been fully restored after fibre broadband customers reported having trouble accessing the Internet in the morning.

In an update on Facebook at 6.03pm, M1 said that all its affected fibre services were fully restored, about nine hours after the disruption first started.

The incident was caused by a technical issue in one of its "fixed residential access equipment", and it primarily affected customers served by three Netlink Trust central offices - Ang Mo Kio, Bedok and East, M1 said in a statement.

The telco earlier said the disruption started at between 8.30am and 9am, and affected customers in the northern and eastern parts of the island. 

"Customers may experience difficulties in accessing fibre services in some areas in the northern and eastern parts of Singapore," M1 added on Facebook. 

"Our engineers are working hard to resolve the issue. We apologise for the inconvenience and will provide updates as soon as possible," said M1. 

However, some M1 customers in the western part of Singapore also reported being unable to access the Internet. This included customers in Jurong, Bukit Batok, Bukit Panjang, Clementi and Queenstown.

At about 3pm, M1 said in an update that fibre service restoration was being carried out, and some affected customers already had their services restored.

"Progressive fibre service restoration is currently underway. Some affected customers already have their services restored," said M1.

Fibre services were fully restored at around 6pm.

"If you are still experiencing any connection difficulty, please contact our customer service hotline. Thank you for your patience and understanding," said M1 in its Facebook post.

On Tuesday, M1 fibre services in the northern part of Singapore were disrupted at around 1pm due to a fibre cable outage involving fibre operator Netlink Trust.

Services were restored by 5.15pm. M1 said the disruption on Wednesday was not related to Tuesday's outage.

Source: CNA/jt(cy)/ic/ec(hm)