SINGAPORE: To mark Singapore's 51st year of independence, Mediacorp will broadcast a series of National Day programmes across multiple platforms, it announced in a media release on Saturday (Aug 6).
These programmes will also be made available online on Mediacorp's over-the-top video service Toggle.
NATIONAL DAY MESSAGE
The National Day Message will be broadcast with captions on Aug 8 on all Mediacorp television channels, its radio stations and Toggle, in the four official languages.
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong will deliver the National Day Message in English; Minister, Prime Minister’s Office, Mr Chan Chun Sing will deliver the Message in Mandarin; Minister for Communications and Information and Minister-in-charge of Muslim Affairs Dr Yaacob Ibrahim will deliver the Message in Malay, while Minister for Trade and Industry (Industry), Mr S Iswaran will deliver the Message in Tamil.
The text and video clips of the National Day Message in four languages will be available on Toggle Catch-up from Aug 8 after its first television broadcast. A repeat of the broadcast will be played on Aug 9.
NATIONAL DAY PARADE
Mediacorp will also broadcast the National Day Parade (NDP) 'live' on Aug 9 on TV, radio, online, and at various locations around Singapore.
- Channel 5, Channel 8, Channel U, Suria and Vasantham will broadcast the NDP from 6.05pm to 8.25pm. There will be live captions on Channel 5 (HD)
- Channel NewsAsia's International feed will broadcast the parade from 6.05pm Singapore/Hong Kong/Manila time
- Live captioning will be provided as an option to help the hearing-impaired. They can be enabled or disabled via a set top box's settings.
Commenting on the option of live captioning, Minister of State for Health, and Communications and Information Chee Hong Tat said in a Facebook post: "This is in line with our collective efforts to develop an inclusive society, and we will continue to find ways to reach this goal."
- 938LIVE, CAPITAL 95.8FM, Warna 94.2FM and Oli 96.8FM will broadcast the NDP from 6.05pm to 8.25pm in English, Mandarin, Malay and Tamil respectively
- Watch the parade online on ChannelNewsAsia.com and Toggle.sg from 6.05pm to 8.25pm. A repeat broadcast will be made available on Toggle CatchupTV. A separate stream with live captions will also be made available
- The parade will be shown live at Bugis Village and Chinatown Point, with the latter showing the version with Mandarin voice-overs
- Viewers can also watch the parade on indoor screens at Junction8 and The Star Vista
- iFly at Sentosa, JCube, Orchard Gateway and Westgate will be showing the parade on outdoor screens, while some bus shelters along Orchard Road and Scotts Road will also be screening the parade
Mediacorp also invites Singaporeans to ask: "What is it that makes us Singaporean and who are the people that make up your Singapore?” as part of its This Is Us campaign.
Members of the public are encouraged to post photos and videos of their "kakis" on Instagram and Twitter, with the hashtag #ThisIsUs. The campaign ends on Aug 10.