Circle Line, East-West Line hit by separate faults on Wednesday morning

Circle Line, East-West Line hit by separate faults on Wednesday morning

Bishan train fault
Crowds at Bishan station due to a signalling fault on the Circle Line. (Photo: Jeremy Long) 

SINGAPORE: Both the Circle Line and East-West Line were affected by delays during the morning rush hour on Wednesday (Nov 15) due to two separate faults.

A signalling fault caused delays on the Circle Line, SMRT first said in a tweet at 6.28am, adding that it was investigating the fault. 

Bishan circle line
Congested train at Bishan MRT station, after the Circle Line was affected by a signalling fault on Wednesday morning. 

In an update at 6.40am, SMRT said the signalling fault was between Farrer Road and Buona Vista. It advised commuters to expect 20 minutes of additional travel time between Buona Vista and HarbourFront stations, in both directions.

Congested trains and huge crowds were seen at Bishan MRT station, which is an interchange along the Circle Line and the North-South Line.

The signalling fault was resolved more than two hours after SMRT first announced the delays, although trains and stations remained crowded.


The East-West Line was also affected by delays due to a train fault at Joo Koon station. 

Bishan MRT CCL EWL delay fault
Track faults on the East West and Circle Lines on Nov 

In a tweet at 8.25am, SMRT advised commuters to add 20 minutes of travel time between Jurong East and Joo Koon stations. 

It later increased the additional travel time to 30 minutes, and extended it to between Jurong East and Tuas Link stations.

In an update at around 10am, SMRT said the additional travel time was 15 minutes. Free buses were still running between the two stations, it added.


Irate commuters took to social media to vent their frustration with the train delays. 

Reader Priscillaa Shinbone commented on Channel NewsAsia's Facebook page saying that she was stuck in a train between Marymount and Caldecott stations for an hour. 

Another reader Siti Rubiah commented that her train was stuck at Bartley station for half an hour and Serangoon station for at least 20 minutes. 

Commuter Jomond Kio told Channel NewsAsia that he waited for a train at Buona Vista station for more than 10 minutes. He then gave up and chose to travel by Grab instead. 

This is the second day in a row that train commuters have been affected by delays during the morning rush hour. On Tuesday, the North-South Line was hit by delays of up to 20 minutes due to a train fault, although SMRT did not announce any delays on its social media channels.

Source: CNA/am