NSman tests positive for COVID-19 before in-camp training at Nee Soon Camp

NSman tests positive for COVID-19 before in-camp training at Nee Soon Camp

SINGAPORE: A national serviceman (NSman) has tested positive for COVID-19 before the start of his in-camp training (ICT) at Nee Soon Camp.    

He was swabbed as part of routine safety measures for all NSmen before they begin their training, said the Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) on Saturday (Apr 17). 

"The serviceman was well and asymptomatic when he reported for ICT at Nee Soon Camp," said MINDEF. "The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) has been in contact with him and his family to render support and assistance."

The NSman is a 35-year-old Singaporean who works as a freelance photographer, said the Ministry of Health (MOH) in its daily update on coronavirus cases.

His infection, which is currently unlinked, was detected when he was tested on Apr 15. An individual swab a day later on Apr 16 also returned a positive result.

He was taken to the National Centre for Infectious Diseases in an ambulance and developed a fever on the same day, MOH said.

READ: NSman tests positive for COVID-19 before in-camp training; new cluster linked to NUS employee

Another test performed by the National Public Health Laboratory yielded a negative result on Apr 16, but a subsequent test on Apr 17 was again positive. 

"His serology result has come back positive, which is indicative of a past infection," said MOH.

The ministry added that he could be "shedding minute fragments of the virus RNA, which are no longer transmissible and infective to others".

READ: SAF to progressively resume NS in-camp training, IPPT from October with COVID-19 safety measures

All personnel who have been identified as close contacts of the positive case during the in-camp training have been swabbed, said MINDEF, adding that none have tested positive so far. 

The close contacts have been placed under quarantine. 

"They will be monitored and re-tested to confirm their negative status before they are released from quarantine," said MINDEF.

The ministry added that as part of precautionary measures, the SAF has carried out disinfection of the premises that the serviceman had been in.

National Service in-camp training and Individual Physical Proficiency Tests resumed from October 2020, with safe management and detection measures for COVID-19 in place. 

These include swab tests for those returning for in-camp training. 

MINDEF and SAF had also put in place additional measures, such as temperature screening for all visitors and contractors entering military camps and bases.

READ: Gardens by the Bay, Bollywood Veggies among places visited by COVID-19 cases during infectious period

Apart from the 35-year-old NSman, the other new community infections include two people linked to the NUS senior research fellow who was reported as a local case on Friday.

This formed a new cluster of three cases. 




MOH urged people to continue to exercise social responsibility and be disciplined in keeping to safe management measures, even for those who have been vaccinated.

"The recent locally transmitted cases are a stark reminder that the virus has not been eradicated and new cases and clusters can easily emerge in our community, if we let our guard down," said the ministry.

"Together we must work to avoid an uncontrolled resurgence of cases that may necessitate a tightening of measures."

BOOKMARK THIS: Our comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus outbreak and its developments

Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak: https://cna.asia/telegram​​​​​​

Source: CNA/gs/nh

Bookmark