SINGAPORE: A fire broke out in a food stall at Westgate shopping mall at Jurong East on Wednesday morning (Apr 8), but no one was hurt in the incident, said a mall executive.
Mr Eddie Lim, Centre Manger of Westgate, said the small fire at Basement 2 was started by the overheating of an electric fryer. The sprinkler system at the affected stall was automatically activated and the fire was put out completely within five minutes, before the Singapore Civil Defence Force arrived.
Mr Lim said they immediately cordoned off the affected food stall and surrounding area while safety checks and premise cleaning were carried out.
Mall operations were not affected, and the food stall resumed normal operations at around 12:30pm, he added.