SINGAPORE: Motorists heading to the area around Suntec next week should expect traffic delays as several roads and lanes will be closed to facilitate security arrangements for the 33rd ASEAN Summit.
"Motorists are advised to plan their journey early as traffic is expected to be slow moving," said the Singapore Police Force, the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) and the Land Transport Authority in a joint media release on Tuesday (Nov 6).
Road and lane closures will begin on Nov 11, in preparation for the summit which will be held from Nov 13 to 15.
The area around Suntec was on Monday declared an Enhanced Security Special Event, where tighter security checks will be conducted.
As part of the security measures, CAAS will establish a temporary restricted area over central areas in Singapore from midnight on Nov 12 to 11.59pm on Nov 16, under the Air Navigation Order.
During this period, the flying of drones and other aerial activities such as kite-flying and hoisting of captive balloons are not allowed within the restricted area, unless authorised.
Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) or drones are among a range of items prohibited in the special event area.
"Offenders may be arrested and, upon conviction, will be liable to a fine not exceeding S$20,000, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months, or both. The UAV will also be seized," the joint release said.
Some of the other prohibited items include:
- Any noxious or offensive substance.
- A marine flare and signal, landing flare, highway fuse, smoke generator, distress signal or other pyrotechnic device intended for signalling, warning, rescue or similar purposes.
- Any petroleum or flammable material within the meaning of the Fire Safety (Petroleum and Flammable Materials) Regulations.
- An explosive within the meaning of the Arms and Explosives Act.
- Any arms within the meaning of the Arms and Explosives Act.
The Enhanced Security Special Event Area (outlined in blue below) is bounded by the following roads:
- Fullerton Road
- Connaught Drive
- St Andrew’s Road
- Stamford Road
- Victoria St
- Bras Basah Road
- Bencoolen St
- Rochor River
- Syed Alwi Road
- Beach Road
- Java Road
- Nicoll Highway
- Shoreline of the Marina Promenade