SINGAPORE: Part of Balestier Road was closed after a trailer carrying an excavator rammed an overhead pedestrian bridge on Friday (Jul 21) evening.
Photos and video posted on social media showed that the boom of the excavator had hit the bridge and dislodged part of the structure.
No one was injured in the accident.
Police said the 57-year-old driver and his 59-year-old employer have been arrested in connection with the accident. The driving licence of the driver has also been suspended with immediate effect.
The trailer had been travelling on Balestier Road towards Moulmein Road when it hit the bridge near the Singapore Indian Association.
Christabel Seah told Channel NewsAsia that her fiance witnessed the accident, which took place outside her home.
Her fiance, who did not want to be named, said the accident happened around 9.30pm and that he had been about 50 metres away on the opposite side of the road at the time.
"I heard a very loud noise - first it was like a loud bang, and then the sound of metal on stone. I think the truck was driving at average speed, wasn't ... speeding," he told Channel NewsAsia.
"I turned to the right ... and saw that the bridge was moving a bit and then the truck stood still," he said, adding that he saw a lot of rocks and dust falling. "The driver ran out of the car and was definitely in a deep shock."
He added that there were no pedestrians crossing the bridge at the time of the accident. The police arrived after four to five minutes and closed off the road, he said.
In a Facebook post late Friday night, police said that officials from the Building and Construction Authority and Land Transport Authority were on site to assess the damage.
The police added that both directions of Balestier Road between Serangoon Road and McNair Road were closed to traffic, and asked the public to avoid the area.
In an earlier tweet, public transport operator SBS Transit said that bus services 21, 125, 130, 139 and 145 were being diverted along Balestier Road due to the accident.