Football: Copenhagen's Santos gets three-game ban for assault in Europa clash

Football: Copenhagen's Santos gets three-game ban for assault in Europa clash

FILE PHOTO: Europa League - Round of 32 Second Leg - Celtic v FC Copenhagen
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Europa League - Round of 32 Second Leg - Celtic v FC Copenhagen - Celtic Park, Glasgow, Britain - February 27, 2020 FC Copenhagen's Michael Santos celebrates at the end of the match REUTERS/Russell Cheyne/File Photo

REUTERS: FC Copenhagen's Michael Santos has been banned for three games by UEFA for assaulting a policeman during a Europa League game at Celtic in February, European soccer's governing body said on Wednesday.

The Uruguayan forward was charged by police after he barged into an officer while celebrating Pep Biel's 85th minute goal in a 3-1 win over the Scottish side in the second leg of their round of 32 tie on Feb. 27.

The policeman was looking to prevent Santos from getting any closer to away fans at Celtic Park and a Copenhagen steward was also charged by police as tempers flared.

"The Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body has decided to suspend ... Santos for a total of three UEFA club competition matches for which he would be otherwise eligible," UEFA said in a statement.

Copenhagen, who defeated Celtic 4-2 on aggregate, lost 1-0 in the first leg of their last 16 tie at Istanbul Basaksehir last month before the novel coronavirus pandemic forced the suspension of the competition.

Source: Reuters

Bookmark