PARIS: Every Roland Garros court will be allowed to be 35 per cent full with a limit of 1,000 spectators at the beginning of the French Open amid an easing of COVID-19 restrictions, National Education, Youth and Sports minister Jean-Michel Blanquer said on Sunday.
The limit will be raised to 65 per cent - 5,000 fans - starting Jun 9 when the claycourt Grand Slam quarter-finals get underway, Blanquer told France 3 TV channel.
It marks an improvement on last year's delayed tournament when a maximum of 1,000 spectators were allowed in the grounds of Roland Garros.
This year's French Open, which was delayed by a week, is set to start on May 30.
Spectators will be allowed back into arenas from May 19, President Emmanuel Macron said on Thursday, providing that the health situation does not deteriorate.